101 Films presents Howard the Duck (1986), title 008 on their Black Label and a UK Blu-ray debut. The sensational Science Fiction Rating System podcast that Love Horror’s Zombie2 features on already analysed this cult classic and you can listen to what they said below.
A box office bomb upon release, the film’s notoriety has never faded, and it now stands as one of the essential cult films of the 1980s. Extras include a new 20-minute featurette in which the BFI’s Vic Pratt discusses Howard’s comic book origins and the character’s journey to the big screen, two brand new commentaries and new writing on Marvel and Lucasfilm.
From executive producer George Lucas and the pages of Marvel Comics comes a comedy adventure spectacular about a fast-talking, cigar-chomping, beer-loving duck from a parallel universe who crashes to Earth and somehow winds up in Cleveland. As Howard attempts to return to his own planet, he falls in love with rock singer Beverly Switzler (Lea Thompson) and must battle an evil invader known as the Dark Overlord.
This wacky, elaborately produced spoof of life, love, comic books and horror movies is a misunderstood cult classic, ripe for rediscovery.
Limited Edition version comes with booklet and slipcase, limited to 3000 copies.
Brand New Extras
• Howard: A New Cult Hero: Vic Pratt on Howard the Duck
• Commentary with Wil Jones and Robert J.E. Simpson
• Commentary with Charlie Brigden and Dan Whitehead
• Limited edition booklet: includes ‘How ‘The Duck Who Couldn’t Swim’ Survived a Sinking Ship’ by Lister
Appleton and ‘The Madness of King George’ by Charlie Brigden
• Releasing the Duck News Featurette
• The Stunts of Howard the Duck
• The Special Effects of Howard the Duck
• The Music of Howard the Duck
Available on Dual Format Blu-ray and DVD on 22nd April 2019