One of the true masters of Hollywood horror Wes Craven has had a long and illustrious career and Arrow Video have decided to celebrate one of his early classics Deadly Blessing with a brilliant Blu-Ray and DVD deluxe edition release on Monday March 25th.
A great American horror movie t is also significant for featuring a young Sharon Stone in one of her first ever feature film roles. Deadly Blessing is a tale of rural disgust and simmering evil from the golden age of video terror, brought back to life and soon-to-be available on Blu-ray for the very first time.
When Martha marries Tom, she leaves her LA lifestyle behind and the pair settle-down on an isolated farm, appropriately named “Our Blessing”. Before entering into wed-lock, Tom was part of a close-knit sect known as Hittite, a hard-core working community (even more aggressive than the Amish) who think that all modern machinery is the work of the devil.
Martha feels shunned by the Hittite members and is treated as an outsider by its fanatical members… When Tom is mysteriously and tragically killed by a tractor, one such machine forbidden by Hittite, things take a much darker turn…
After Tom’s funeral, and against the wishes of Hittite’s terrifying leader Isaiah Schmidt (Ernest Borgnine), Martha decides to remain living on the farm. Her sophisticated LA friends Lana (Sharon Stone) and Vicky (Susan Buckner) come to visit in an attempt to keep Martha company and cheer her up.
Shortly after Martha’s friends arrive, strange, scary and down-right horrifying things begin happening to the three girls, who remain outlawed by the Hittite people. Against the advice of the local sheriff they stay and attempt to fight their corner, but the girl’s luck may be running out… Plagued by nightmares and fearing for their lives, they face the violent fury and retribution of an old time religion running out of control.
Director Wes Craven is one of the most successful and well-respected horror directors in the history of the genre. Allegedly learning his trade in the pornographic industry (working under a variety of pseudonyms), he made the jump to feature film in the early 1970s. Craven has since been at the helm of some of the most well-know horror franchises in cinema history, including Scream, The Hills Have Eyes and Nightmare On Elm Street. Deadly Blessingis said to bridge the gap between his hard-hitting and more experimental early films, and the breakout commercial success of his later work.
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the main feature
– Optional English SDH Subtitles
– Audio commentary with Director Wes Craven
– Introduction by Michael Berryman
– The Deadliest Director: An Interview with Wes Craven
– Craven Images: The Horror Hits of Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes, Cut and Run, Weird Science); An interview with Deadly Blessing’s iconic star
– Deadly Desires: An interview with screenwriter Glenn M. Benest
– Easter Eggs – 1 on the original poster and another on the upcoming films of Michael Berryman
– Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
– Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by author and critic Kim Newman
Deadly Blessings is out Monday March 25th.
Check out our review Here and Deadly Blessing – The Arrow Video Story below: