Arrow Video is pleased to announce the highly anticipated deluxe Blu-ray & SteelBook editions of Tobe Hooper’s cult sci-fi classic LIFEFORCE. The restored Blu-ray discs will be released in the UK on 30th September marking the first time that the movie will be available on this format in the UK.
The carefully restored Blu-ray will also feature an extensive amount of extra features and boasts a restoration of the movie that was overseen by director Tobe Hooper himself.
Originally released back in 1986, Lifeforce was directed by American horror maestro Tobe Hooper, hot off the heels of his previous horror hit, Poltergeist. Perhaps Hooper’s most famous movie was his 1974 classic The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, a film which forever changed the horror genre. Known for pushing the envelope, for his 1986 release, Lifeforce, Hooper decided to adapt Colin Wilson’s edgy novel The Space Vampires and in doing so, created a horror/sci-fi epic with a devoted cult following.
Keeping with what is a now a fan-favoured tradition of Arrow Video restorations, Lifeforce will come complete with a reversible sleeve for the standalone Blu-ray version which will feature the original artwork and a stunning new illustration.
When a space shuttle crew finds a mysterious spacecraft containing three human-looking creatures in a state of suspended animation, they bring them back to Earth for further investigation.
It’s only then that scientists discover that they are in fact a race of space vampires that feed off people’s life-force rather than their blood. So when they escape and run amok in London, the consequences are apocalyptic – and the shuttle crew’s only survivor (Steve Railsback) seems to be the only man who can stop them.
Based on Colin Wilson’s novel ‘The Space Vampires’, co-written by Dan O’Bannon (Alien, Return of the Living Dead) and directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Poltergeist), this lively sci-fi horror romp has a stellar cast including Peter Firth, Frank Finlay and Patrick Stewart – although it’s Mathilda May’s appearance as a naked female alien that attracts most attention to this day.
The super-deluxe package, which is available both as a standard Blu-ray and as a limited edition Blu-ray SteelBook, is full of special features and bonus material. The special features for this director-approved edition include:
• Limited Edition SteelBook™ packaging
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of both the International and Theatrical Versions, transferred from original elements by MGM with supervision by director Tobe Hooper
• Optional uncompressed 2.0 Stereo PCM and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround Sound • Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
• Region B
• Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper, moderated by filmmaker Tim Sullivan
• Audio commentary with Academy Award-winning visual effects artist Douglas Smith, moderated by filmmaker and scholar Howard S. Berger
• Audio commentary with make-up effects artist Nick Maley, moderated by filmmaker Michael Felsher
• Cannon Fodder: The Making of Lifeforce – An epic UK-exclusive look at the genesis, production and release of Lifeforce featuring interviews with Hooper, associate producer Michael J. Kagan, editor John Grover, actors Aubrey Morris and Nicholas Ball, makeup artist Sandra Exelby, screenwriter Michael Armstrong, sound designer Vernon Messenger, art designer Tom Adams, Douglas Smith and effects artist John Schoonraad
• Space Vampires in London: An interview with Tobe Hooper
• Dangerous Beauty: An interview with Mathilda May, Lifeforce’s iconic star
• Carlsen’s Curse: Star Steve Railsback looks back on Lifeforceand his career
• Original Theatrical Trailers
• Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by science fiction expert Bill Warren, a new interview with Oscar-winning visual effects artist John Dykstra by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and poster
Check out the trailer and watch out for more on Lifeforce soon: